Imagine, not having to just grab a generic bottle off of the grocery store shelves ever again. We tend to underestimate the impact that the right ingredients can have on our locks. Prose and Function of Beauty both allow consumers to customize their hair care by walking them through creating a product for their specific hair profile. Since everyone’s hair is unique, impacted by climate, genetics, nutrition and so on, it can be tricky to chose the proper hair care brand. So, to compare these two custom shampoo companies, to help you identify which one will give you your desired overall look and feel.
What’s the difference between Prose and Function of Beauty?
- Ingredients: Function of Beauty uses natural and lab-created ingredients monitored by an in-house team of chemists, which they believe increase their product’s efficacy.
- Price: Function of Beauty tends to run slightly more expensive than Prose
- Cruelty Free & Vegan Status: Function of Beauty products are always certified vegan and cruelty-free. However, Prose is considered “Cruelty-Free” as they do not test on animals, but they are not 100% vegan.
- Customization process: With Prose, when you build your hair profile you will be questioned in detail about outside factors, like diet and ZIP Code, for example, all to create a finished product that’s unique to you. Function of Beauty is less detailed, but their hair quiz only needs to know your hair type structure and moisture level to find the perfect formula.
Prose was founded in France and still has a lab in the center of magical Paris. However, the company has mainly moved to New York, Brooklyn to be exact, where new ideas are born, and your customized formulas are made to order. An engineer, a Navy veteran, and a chemist all came together to found Function of Beauty. The facility had to be built from the ground up to meet the specific needs of a brand focused on customization. The first location was set up in Catawissa, PA, and they have now expanded to Paxinos, PA.
What Ingredients are in Function of Beauty Hair Products?
Function of Beauty on the other hand uses safe, scientific analysis to lab create extra effective ingredients that might have more visible results. Their products are made up of both natural ingredients and lab-created ingredients they believe are safer than some natural add-ins. Posted on their website, you’ll find a long list of banned ingredients including sulfates, parabens and phthalates, to name but a small few. The formulas follow to the European Union regulations on safe cosmetics.
If you are in favor of using a lab-created ingredients scientifically tested and deemed safe so that products can be more effective, Function of Beauty may be right for you.
What Ingredients are in Prose Hair Products?
Not only does Prose only use natural ingredients, they focus extremely heavily on ingredient transparency. All products are free of parabens, sulfates, phthalates, mineral oils, and GMO’s. The final ingredient list will depend on whatever selections you make during customization. Step one is to create your hair profile on the Prose website. Once you create your hair profile, you can set individual preferences, with selections including vegan, gluten-free, and fragrance-free. In keeping with their commitment to transparency, Prose provides a notably detailed list of ingredients on its products, and you can look up the Environmental Working Group rating right beside each ingredient, including from where the ingredient came.
Are They Worth It?
Based on reviews from each company’s actual site, these personalized shampoo formulas seem to change hair. That being said, it’s best to figure out which of these two brands can fulfil your needs, and give it a try. Reviews in favor of the efficacy are hard to ignore, but keep in mind everyone’s hair needs are different!
- If you want all natural ingredients with full ingredient transparency, Prose is your choice.
- Function of Beauty uses both natural and lab-created ingredients
- Function of Beauty is 100% vegan, Prose is cruelty-free but not vegan.
- If you’re on a budget, they are in the same price range, but Function Of Beauty typically has a slightly larger price tag.
- Prose’s hair profile makes customization feel extremely personalized, addressing outside factors including diet, lifestyle and climate
- Function of Beauty starts the customization process with a hair quiz that simply asks for hair type, structure, and moisture level.
- Both companies have locations here in the good ole USA, though ingredients may be sourced from around the world.
Where to buy Function of Beauty
Because you need to take the Function of Beauty Hair Quiz to find the right product for you, you need to buy these products on their website. This is the only process through which you’ll get the full, customized hair product experience. That being said, they’re now available at Target. To look deeper in to Function of Beauty, you can read our article here.
Where to Buy Prose
The best way to buy your Prose hair products is through their official website.